So far we’ve managed to create our first ROM, with just one instruction that sets the register d0. The next thing I would like to do is draw something on the screen, but before that we need some more info on how this old console produced those awesome graphics we all know and love.
I started looking into Mega Drive development in early September 2015. My excuse for doing so was that I was going to take a class the same year, about microprocessors, in which we were going to learn 68K assembly, so I would check my code on a real system. It turns out we didn’t, but the excuse did its job and I’ve had great fun with this project since.
Table of contents
I recently bought a Mega Everdrive flash cartridge. This little piece of hardware allows you to play any ROM image on a real Mega Drive. I got it to start testing my own code on the real hardware.
Using emulators, I got to the point where I can render a sprite and move it around with the DPad:
Functional programming came up a lot lately in conversations with mutually unrelated friends of mine. There seems to be increasing interest in the topic. Continue reading
This felt like discovering penicillin!